With easy access to Internet, it has become very easy for most of us to learn things that we didn’t know earlier. It may be a small thing like a new term not found in the dictionary or it can be a specific subject you are interested in. With the concept of e-learning becoming popular, the boundaries of knowledge transfer have increased manifolds. E-learning development is essentially about developing interactive learning methods using texts, audio, video and graphics in a more synchronized and interesting matter. But what is e-learning? Any kind of knowledge that is gained online or anything that is learnt online with the help of technology or computers is the crux of e-learning. It is a very democratic, participative method of learning where a student or learner is taken out of the four walls of a classroom and thrown into a bigger and more dynamic environment accessed through the Internet.
One of the basic features of e-learning that makes it so unique is the feature of custom development. Many online learning platforms are explored by e-learning developers that make unique and specific study content for a learner. For example, if a middle aged executive wishes to learn about photography, which had hitherto been just his hobby, he can enroll in a photography tutorial online that is specifically designed to suit his needs. On the other hand, there may be a professional photographer who wishes to diversify and learn about other aspects of the subject. The e-learning developers will thus have something different for him.
Advantages of e-learning
- Distance is no longer a barrier. You can learn anything and everything under the sun if you have access to the Internet and if you are keen to learn something new.
- E-learning focuses on flexible content creation. There is no technological boundary and has very good management solutions.
- The basic structure on which e-learning is based is the virtual classroom. It is a special learning environment that inculcates synchronous content and experiences.
- It also gives an opportunity to earn online distance education degree. A tutorial, study materials are provided online and an interactive session is also available where the learner and the tutor can post reviews, comment, and ask questions.
- It is the next-generation method of education. There are many who miss out on their education as they set early to seek job. But with the possibility of e-learning, now these people have the opportunity to learn as and when they wish.
There are many offshore development centers that are continuously building online education modules catering to corporate and educational institutes equally. There are also many companies that have their own learning management systems to help their employees refresh their talents. Most of the times, companies outsource these kinds of work with the prospect of saving money and freeing themselves of the cumbersome process of developing a learning module. Outsourcing companies are thus providing cheap, customized learning modules that benefit the corporate sector immensely. Vishal Arora is an iPhone and Flash expert working as a technical writer with Evon Technologies, an offshore development company dealing with mobile, software, and web application development.